Rules for the Collection of Garbage
- Garbage is collected in various sections six days a week (see Recycling Guide (PDF) for pickup days)
- The only holiday garbage is not collected is if your pickup is scheduled for Christmas Day.
- Notices will be posted on the website, cable, and in the newspaper regarding the holiday schedule.
- Questions regarding collection should be directed to 973-470-2239.
Rules for Garbage Collection
- Twice a week limited to 3 barrels or plastic bags tied securely per collection.
- Garbage containers (metal or plastic) are not to exceed 35 gallons.
- Place containers neatly at the curb, after 6 p.m, the night before your collection day.
- Do not place garbage in the street.
- Do not include dirt, stones, brick, concrete or hazardous waste with your garbage.
- Remove empty receptacles from the curb the same day after your collection.
- Store all empty cans behind your home so as not to be seen from the street.
- Consists of mattresses, furniture, wooden cabinets and doors, tables, lumber or rugs (cut to 4-foot lengths and tied)
- Collected your first garbage day of the week (i.e, Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday collection)
- Place Bulk Waste neatly at the curb, after 6 p.m. the night before your collection day - maximum limit 2 items first collection only
- Please remember do not place bulk waste out on Thursday, Friday or Saturday
- Tanks are the responsibility of the homeowner.
- Do not place these tanks at curbside or in your trash collection.
- Tanks will not be collected and you may be subject to a summons.
- Telephone Systems
These items are your responsibility and will not be collected with your garbage. You can donate to a charitable organization or you can bring these items to the Public Works Yard on Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. at:
307 E 7th Street
Clifton, NJ 07011
For further information, or if you are having difficulty and need assistance in removing your electronic items please call the Recycling Office at 973-470-2239.
Household Hazardous Waste
The Passaic County Office of Recycling sponsors a Household Hazardous Waste Collection Day 3 times a year. For date and location call the County at 973-305-5738.
Questions please call 973-470-2237. Failure to comply with the above regulations could result in a summons!