Individuals with Disabilities & Special Needs
Advisory Committee for Individuals with Disabilities
Clifton's Advisory Committee for Individuals was created by the Municipal Council in 1980 pursuant to the provisions of New Jersey law (N.J.S.A. 40:81-13) to advise the Council in matters concerning residents with disabilities. The Committee is made up of residents of the City of Clifton, including members with disabilities, a City Council liaison, and a City Health Department liaison.
The Committee's mission is to:
- Educate and advise any person with an interest in matters pertaining to individuals with disabilities
- Gather and present to the Council facts and information that will help the Council in its deliberations relating to matters concerning residents with disabilities
- Recommend to the Council methods and ideas to aid and assist residents with disabilities to fully participate in all aspects of community life
- We hope in 2019 to improve the quality of life for all Residents
Among the accomplishments of the Board are the following:
- Facilitated the establishment of playground facilities for use of the disabled
- Obtained TDD/TTY service for City Hall
- Presented talks and information sessions to residents concerned about illnesses and conditions such as Parkinson's Disease, Alzheimer's and Cerebral Palsy
- Provided direction and guidance for individuals with disabilities
- Provided recreational opportunities for disabled youth
The Committee generally meets on the third Monday of each month (excluding holidays) in the Senior Center building at 6:30 p.m. Members of the public are always welcome to attend the meetings and express any concerns they may have or seek information or advice. The Committee would be happy to assist members of the public and relate your concerns to the City Council or other agencies.
Email the Clifton's Advisory Committee for Individuals with Disabilities for any questions.
Find more information on services provided by Clifton and Passaic County.