Clifton Garden Club
The purpose of the Clifton Garden Club is to promote the knowledge and appreciation of horticulture, to carry out horticultural projects that benefit our community, and to build fellowship by sharing our horticultural talents and resources. The diverse personalities and backgrounds of our wonderful members make the CGC such a vibrant and successful organization. Whether you're a seasoned gardener, a newbie gardener that just can't figure out how to keep plants alive, or simply curious about gardening, come join us!
- 7:00 p.m.
- 2nd Tuesday of each month (excluding January and February)
- Each meeting we host a guest speaker that educates us on their expert gardening forte (see below for our recent speakers and topics) followed by refreshments, plant exchanges, raffles, and conversation. August's meeting is our annual member potluck picnic and December is our seed packet assembly meeting.
- Senior Center - Clifton Municipal Complex 900 Clifton Avenue. Clifton, NJ 07013
Some of our recent speakers that we've had the pleasure of learning from include:
- 04/09/18 - Shannon Mulligan Mayernik, graduate of the Academy of Culinary Nutrition, graduate of the Chestnut School of Herbs, co-owner of Mayernik Kitchen, beekeeper - Making Medicine from Herbs and Weeds
- 03/12/18 - Jim Myracle, Certified Master Gardener - Vegetable Gardening
- 11/13/18 - Mary Jo Sichak, Certified Master Gardener - Indoor Gardening
- 10/09/18 - Nick Diminni, Monclair resident - Zen Gardening and Holistic Living
- 09/11/18 - Emil Rostello, Director of Horticulture at City Green - Winter Gardens
- 07/09/18 - Layal Helwani, Health Educator for the Clifton Board of Health - Mosquito and Tick Control
Most importantly, the CGC is an active face in the Clifton community. Some of our activities include:
- Maintaining public garden sites around the City of Clifton
- Holding an annual Spring Plant Sale
- Funding and awarding an annual scholarship to a Clifton High School senior pursuing a gardening related curriculum in college
- Organizing field trips
- Creating/donating flower arrangements and other plants for seniors, hospital patients, and disadvantaged groups
Many Master Gardeners are members of the Club and offer advice as well as solutions for various gardening problems. In August, the members have a picnic at Morris Canal Park and a Holiday Party in December. Guests are always welcome.
- Fran Warren, President
- Wally Koenig, Vice President
- Donna Fantacone, Secretary
- Denise Silvestri, Treasurer
- Alexandra Lazor, Hospitality Chair
- Emilia Rykowski, Newsletter Chair
- Joan Sanford, Social Events Chair